Spanish Governor’s Palace
SPANISH GOVERNOR'S PALACE. The Spanish Governor's Palace, at 105 Military Plaza in San Antonio, was constructed in 1749. The name, something of a misnomer, is traditional; the building was not the home of the Spanish governor but served as the residence and headquarters for the local presidio captain. The one-story masonry structure is built in the Spanish Colonial style; in the rear is a large patio. A keystone above the entrance bears the date of construction and the Hapsburg coat of arms. After the end of Spanish sovereignty, the building passed into private ownership. In the late 1860s it was purchased by E. Hermann Altgelt, founder of Comfort in Kendall County.