LLANO RIVER. The Llano River rises in two spring-fed branches, the North and South Llano rivers. The North Llano rises in west central Sutton County (at 30°37' N, 100°26' W) and runs generally east for about forty miles to its confluence (at 30°30' N, 99°45' W) with the South Llano, just east of Junction in Kimble County. The South Llano rises in northwestern Edwards County (at 30°13' N, 100°29' W) and runs northeast for fifty-five miles to meet the North Llano. The Llano River proper flows east for about 100 miles, crossing Kimble, Mason, and Llano counties on its way to its mouth on the Colorado River, at Lake Lyndon B. Johnson near Kingsland (at 30°39' N, 98°26' W). Spanish explorers, such as Domingo Ramón in 1711, Pedro de Rábago y Terán in 1754, and José Maresqqv in 1787 and 1788, called the water course Río de los Chanes or Río de los Sanas, possibly after the Sana Indians, a Tonkawa tribe who lived in Central Texas. The name Llano, Spanish for “plain,” came into use in the nineteenth century.