LIBERTY-NACOGDOCHES ROAD. The Liberty-Nacogdoches Road, an important early north-south route that passed through six East Texas counties, was established by Spanish authorities as a line of communication between the post of Nacogdoches and the settlement of El Orcoquisac, on the east side of the Trinity River near its mouth. Here the Spanish in 1756 built San Agustín de Ahumada Presidio and Nuestra Señora de la Luz Mission, one league east of the Trinity River and two leagues from Trinity Bay. The road connecting Nacogdoches and the Trinity River settlement was described by the Marqués de Rubí. Rubi's engineer and mapmaker, Nicolás de Lafora, kept a diary of this tour, which included a visit to El Orcoquisac in 1767.
Full article on the Texas State Historical Association's Handbook of Texas Online