House Of Barr And Davenport
HOUSE OF BARR AND DAVENPORT. A trading firm, later known as the House of Barr and Davenport, was organized in 1798 in Nachitoches, Louisiana, by William Barr and Peter Samuel Davenport, in partnership with Luther Smith and Edward Murphy. This firm freighted merchandise across the Neutral Ground from Louisiana to Texas and transported peltries, furs, and livestock back to Louisiana. After 1800 Barr had exclusive rights to supply the Indians of Texas.
Full article on the Texas State Historical Association's Handbook of Texas Online