Garza Falcon, Alejo De La
GARZA FALCÓN, ALEJO DE LA (ca. 1719–?). Alejo (Alexo) de la Garza Falcón was a scion of a family that was prominent in Nuevo León affairs in the seventeenth century and later contributed to the development of three other Spanish provinces: Coahuila, Nuevo Santander, and Texas. He is believed to have been born in Monterrey about 1719. Among his close relatives were Blas de la Garza Falcón, twice governor of Coahuila (1723–29 and 1733–36); Clemente de la Garza Falcón, governor of Coahuila from 1736 to 1739; Blas María de la Garza Falcón, founder of Camargo, Nuevo Santander; and Miguel de la Garza Falcón, who commanded Presidio de San Xavier in Texas. Garza Falcón was lieutenant of a portion of the garrison of the abandoned Presidio de San Sabá that was stationed at San Fernando de Austria Coahuila in 1769. This contingent was dispatched from El Cañón (the upper Nueces River mission settlement, near the sites of present-day Camp Wood and Montell) on temporary duty to protect San Fernando and neighboring settlements while the Coahuila military commandant Manuel Rodríguez conducted an extended Indian campaign toward La Junta de los Ríos and El Paso del Norte.qqv After the San Sabá presidio was permanently suppressed in 1770, the troops remained at San Fernando while the new line of presidios was being organized under the New Regulations for Presidios of 1772. Preliminary to establishing the new defense line, Hugo Oconór, commandant-inspector of the new Provincias Internas jurisdiction, attempted to drive the Mescalero Apaches north of the Rio Grande.