College Of Nuestra Senora De Guadalupe De Zacatecas
COLLEGE OF NUESTRA SEÑORA DE GUADALUPE DE ZACATECAS. The College of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Zacatecas, a Franciscan missionary college, was established under the auspices of the College of Santa Cruz de Querétaro after several requests by the people of Zacatecas, some as early as 1686. The royal decree approving the college was issued on January 27, 1704, and arrived in Mexico in 1706. Antonio Margil de Jesús, president of the newly established college, arrived in Zacatecas to take charge of his assignment in January 1707. Missionaries from the college entered Texas for the first time with Domingo Ramón's expedition in 1716. In 1772 the college received the Texas missions previously administered by the College of Santa Cruz de Querétaro at the request of the latter.